In my post How To Set A SMART Goal I described what SMART goals were and why they were important. I also set myself the goal of loosing 23lbs by Christmas this year!
After setting a goal, any sort; short, medium, long term the most important thing is to take some action. No goal is ever going to be achieve unless some action is taken; but how do we decide what action to take and when to take it? In this post I want to go through the steps I propose to take to achieve my goal.
Right, I have to loose weight, what are my options?
- Go on a diet. I won’t do this unless directed to by a medical professional because I don’t believe they’re the right way to go about loosing weight. I believe that if I diet I will reduce my carb. or fat intake, my body metabolism will slow as a result and if I slip off the diet the weight will just pile back on because my metabolism is slower.
- Cut out unnecessary junk food. This is dieting in a way I guess; but it’s more of an adjustment to my diet than an actual diet. I can do this by eating healthier, fewer sweets & biscuits and more fruit.
- Exercise. Oh dear, I knew I’d get to this one eventually.
Stop the list there, let’s talk about exercise. I’ve already said I’m not going to starve myself and only make modest changes to my diet so realistically the only way (weigh) I’m going to achieve this goal is to exercise.
I’ve already set myself a walking goal; but to be honest that is ramping up only slowly and I don’t think it’s going have a huge impact on my weight loss goal in the short, or even medium, term. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a contributor to this goal; but I’m going to need something more.
What else might I do?
- Swimming? I can’t swim, tried to learn about 10 years ago. We won’t go there.
- Running? Look, I’m having enough difficulty walking. Let’s walk before we run, please.
- Cycling? Ah, this is a distinct possibility. In my thirties I was a reasonably keen cyclist, nothing excessive; but I could manage 60 miles. The point is, I was fit.
So it looks like cycling is my best bet. I have a bike and cycling is good aerobic exercise. I feel another goal coming on:
- Specific – I will cycle 30 miles a week.
- Measurable – I’ve a trip meter on the bike
- Attainable – I feel 30 miles a week is within my grasp; but I may have to sacrifice something to fit it in.
- Relevant – Yes, this will contribute to my weight loss.
- Timely – By the end of June!
So I’ve a second exercise goal to help me loose that weight. Over the next two months I should be able to judge whether or not the pounds are starting to come off or whether I need to step up the exercise program. Until then I will work on integrating exercise into my life, something I’ve not done for many years now.